Sunday, July 18, 2010

Mid-Term Protect Kids Vision

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2009/12/walk_away_from_the_screen_your.html

Here is one interesting article to read on which explains why I choose right now this very moment -- the mobile age, kids are hooked to these handhold gadgets, with large of the school work goes to digital, the amount of near of work is unprecedented. Evolution did not design our eyes to look at these tiny screens and not so tiny screens. We were hunters and gatherers, we were made to hunt animals and harvest crops.

We have done campaigns on Tabacco, Fast Foods, yet, when it comes to our precious vision, "It is not big deal, just wear glasses and contacts, or when you get old enough you can get LASIK". This is an epidemic, yet so little research and public focus has done to address the issue. I do believe that myopia (nearsightness) is determined both by genes and environment. Yes, there are some people can spent all their life watching YouTube on iTouch and still have perfact 20/20, however, a lot of the people can not. Little effort has been made for preventions. Some research has indicated the amount of the time you spent ourdoors is crucial to eye development. Australia has the lowest myopia rate in the developed countries, as the outdoor sports are prevalent and people spend a good amount of time outdoors. Sometimes common sense is more important. You can just not wait all the data comes in and then do something, we as parents need to really make an effort to protect our kids' visions.

Here is the screenshot from the apple website. I am shocked as they advertise Games On and On.
http://www.apple.com/ipod/
I want a kid face on the final composite, I find a good one on fotolia. The kid is cute however his eyes are out of focus and he looks sedentary. I lasso him out also the iTouch ad along with one of the Steve Jobs photo. I used to really respect him, I was touched by his speech he made at the Stanford 2005. I just wonder, if all the kids are hooked up to playing games on the iTouches, they won't be able see him well enough when he makes his next college commencement.
I chose Arial as the font, as it is very easy to read, I chose a light metallic grey as the background. I used 2 shapes from the Photoshop library. The kids image is too vibrant, I used the hue and saturation reduced the red and yellow amount to match with over all greyish tone.I also got an eye image, which I used 20 px feather lasso out the oval eye then give it a 20% opacity.

My goal is to achieve a simple and powerful message. I am pretty happy with the overall result in a very short time.

No comments:

Post a Comment